Once our teeth break through the surface of our gums at a young age, our teeth are exposed to the dangers of the world. After we lose our first set, our adult teeth grow in and suffer the same fate. Sadly, like the rest of our body, our teeth are fragile. The tooth enamel that protects our teeth is a very thin coating and can be damaged by plaque buildup. Plaque buildup is the accumulation of bacteria over time on our teeth in a fine coating. With ingredients in food, such as sugar, the plaque can produce harmful acids that eat away at our tooth enamel, causing cavities. To protect our smiles, we must practice effective oral hygiene habits. Enhance your smile with these cavity-fighting tips:
– Brush your teeth twice daily with ADA-approved toothpaste with a comfortable, properly-sized toothbrush that has soft bristles.
– Use additional cleaning systems, such as mouthwash, to wash away food particles and harmful bacteria.
– Studies have revealed that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can facilitate the production of saliva, which can fight cavities.
– Floss every day with ADA-approved dental floss or an appropriate dental flossing tool.
– Visit your dentists in Hawthorne, New Jersey, during your assigned checkups for oral examinations and professional cleanings.
– Avoid sugary snacks and drinks. Sugar can be converted into nefarious enamel-eating acids in your mouth.
– Eat nutritious foods and try to avoid snacking between meals.
– Improve your oral hygiene by practicing better brushing and flossing treatments.
If you would like to schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning with Drs. Rauzman, Kim, and Pallotta, please call our office at 973-427-4201. You can also make an appointment by visiting our office. Your smile deserves the best of care, and we can gladly offer it.